Monday 23 April 2012

Carnival fashion!

I've got a new project in the works, and it's pretty different from my usual thing. I don't want to spoil the final thing just yet, but I'll set up some backstory and info, and I'm sure you're all perceptive enough to see where I'm going with this!

So there's a new musical making its way around North America, and Toronto is lucky enough to be on its list of stops as the only Canadian venue! It's very exciting stuff, and my friend and I were lucky enough to snag some tickets!

It's called The Devil's Carnival, and it's by the same genius madmen that gave us Repo! The Genetic opera.
TDC logo
In a similar vein as their Repo! stage tour, Darren Lynn Bousman and Terrance Zdunich are packing up their carnival train and taking their movie from city to city, rock-concert style.

Now, I'm sure by this information alone you're beginning to think this probably isn't the sort of movie one would go to and sit in a quiet, polite theatre full of average people for an average theatre experience.
That would be boring.
Thankfully, TDC expects and in fact encourages people to show up in costume, and would probably be depressed and offended if people sat politely and silently in the theatre during the show.

From what I've seen and heard from others, it has a sort of Rocky Horror feel to it, where audience participation is as much a part of the show as the movie is.

~-*-~

So, you may not know me very well, so I'll let you in on a little secret about me.
I LOVE to dress up. If there's an excuse for me to dress up in costume, I'll usually jump on that in a heartbeat, and this show is no different!
I've had a lot of fun in the past at Zombie walks and conventions, where I've made my own costumes and basically had the time of my life.

Anime North 2011 -Black mage from Final fantasy 1

Hamilton Zombie walk 2011 -made some latex prosthetics for my face and arms


Hamilton Zombie walk 2010, I was poor, so no prosthetics this time.
Fun fact: all my makeup for this photo was done with eyeshadow and lipstick!

So yeah, leave me alone with some makeup and an idea, and I'm bound to end up in costume eventually.

All this rambling has a purpose, trust me. I've been scheming and planning my costume for the Devil's Carnival for weeks, and it's been in the back of my mind since I heard about it at the Repo! Pannel at comic-con in Toronto.

So, I'll leave you all with some sketches and ideas, and I'll be back with progress updates through the week!






Also, have some tasty informational links!
TDC website: www.thedevilscarnival.com


Facebook links!
TDC page
Darren Lynn Bousman-Director
Terrance Zdunich-Writer/actor

Thanks for reading!
-JessB

No comments:

Post a Comment